Cranberry Brown Butter with Roasted Brussel Sprouts
- 2 pounds Brussels sprouts, halved lengthwise
- 3 tablespoons EVOO
- 1 pound fresh or frozen, thawed cranberries
- 3 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon finely grated fresh ginger root
- 1 1/2 teaspoons finely grated orange zest
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 large shallot, minced
- 1 teaspoon chopped thyme
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- On 2 large rimmed baking sheets, toss the Brussels sprouts with the oil and season with salt and pepper. Roast for about 40 minutes, stirring halfway through, until the sprouts are tender.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, combine the cranberries, maple syrup, ginger, and orange zest. Cook over moderately low heat, stirring, until the cranberries break down and thicken, about 10 minutes. <Here's where I took a short cut and used a cranberry orange relish from Publix>
- In a medium skillet, cook the butter over moderately high heat until melted. Remove from the heat, add the shallots and thyme, and stir into the cranberry sauce.
- Transfer the butter-cranberry mixture to a serving bowl, add the Brussels sprouts, and toss. Season with salt and serve warm.
This recipe is inspired by the US Cranberries site and my boss, Tara Gidus, is featuring on a segment on the Daily Buzz on Thanksgiving morning.
Today's Elf4Health challenge is to try a new workout.
If you're stuck at home over the holiday try this At Home Turkey Burn workout that Kyle and I created last year.
For my workout I'll be doing an easy 4-5 miler. No that's not new, but it's my first time tapering for a marathon (since last time I didn't train properly at all), so it's technically new to me! :)
I have on my "to-do" list to try a Barre workout. Maybe in 2014...
What are you bringing to Thanksgiving dinner?
What new workout would you like to try?
Love and good for you veggies,
Carissa & Kyle
Since it's Wednesday, don't forget to check all the yummy offerings on Peas & Crayons.