Meatloaf is a fairly easy meal to prepare ,and when using lean ground turkey breast it can be healthy too. I was tired of meatloaf covered in ketchup, so I did some experimenting. The result? A meatloaf full of Latin flavors.
For this recipe I swapped out ketchup for Goya sofrito sauce and added Goya sazon seasoning in the meat before cooking. These spices and sauces are easily found in Florida, but let me know if you have trouble finding them elsewhere.
Sassy Sofrito Meatloaf
- 1 package of Jenny-O lean ground turkey
- 1/2 cup milk (plain almond milk does work)
- 3/4 cup plain breadcrumbs
- 1 beaten egg
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 2 cloves diced garlic
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 packet Goya sazon seasoning
- 1/4 cup Goya sofrito sauce + 1/4 cup to top meatloaf with (feel free to add more)
- Optional - 1 shredded zucchini, 1 cup corn
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl mix breadcrumbs and milk. Let stand 1 minute.
- Add egg, turkey, veggie add-ins, onion, garlic, salt, 1/4 cup sofrito sauce, and Goya seasoning. Mix well.
- Transfer mix to a 9 x 13 baking pan and shape into a loaf.
- Top with remaining Sofrito sauce.
- Bake 50-60 minutes or until a meat thermometer reads 160.
- Let rest 10 minutes before serving.
I hope your family likes this new spin on meatloaf as much as we did. Serve with vegetarian refried beans and a tomato avocado salad.
What's your favorite "re-invented" comfort food?
Love and ole,
Carissa & Kyle