You probably start with the protein, then pick the carb, then finally some veggies. Yes? No?
When I'm focused on healthy eating I think about nutrients when I'm putting together my meals. Protein for my muscles. Healthy fats to keep me full and fuel my brain. Colorful vegetables for vitamins and minerals.
My friend Kasey thought of a much better way to describe this eating strategy - POWERMEALS!
PowerCakes, is an uber inspiring FitFluential ambassador, and you can visit her blog for more powermeal inspiration! Just an FYI...
Kyle & I have a weekend of not so healthy eating coming up. Actually when I think of it, it's the start of a season of "not so healthy" eating. Football season, restaurant month, wedding anniversary, Food & Wine Festival, birthdays x 5.....and you get the idea.
|I put our healthy menu on the fridge so I'm reminded to make good choices.|
Tonight's dinner included chicken sauteed in coconut oil, smashed black beans, sauteed spinach, and healthy guacamole.
This guacamole is so easy and perfect for clean eating.
Here's the 411~ combine:
- 1 mashed ripe avocado
- the juice of 1 lime
- 2T fresh salsa
- 2 dashes hot sauce
healthy football party dip.
Why is this a powermeal?
- Chicken breast - lean protein
- Coconut oil - although it's a "saturated" fat, it's a medium chain fatty acid so your body uses it right away. Science talk - it doesn't go to your liver for processing like other fats. And some people say it helps burn fat.
- Black beans - iron and fiber
- Spinach - iron, Vitamin C, vitamin K, and on and on and on. Note~ try to pair spinach with another source of Vitamin C when you eat it to enhance your body's ability to absorb the iron.
- Avocado - healthy monounsaturated fats that can help lower cholesterol levels
As I was running today, it occurred to me that I probably need more iron in my diet. I haven't eaten red meat for close to 6 years, so I need to get creative in my iron sources. Iron is best absorbed from animal sources. It's my new mission. Mission iron. I just thought you should know.
The rest of our night is spent on a very exciting adventure. COWBOYS FOOTBALL BABY! Ah~ I'm excited and nervous all at once!
What "powermeals" have you had lately?
Love and power up,
Carissa & Kyle