I'm certainly not the most creative or technical chef in the kitchen. On weeknights food needs to be healthy, leftover friendly, budget oriented, and not take forever to prepare. This dish fits all those requirements and packs a tremendous amount of nutrients into a tiny, green package.
quinoa. The quinoa adds carbohydrates and protein. Also if you're not sold on quinoa plain yet, this is a good way to try some. You could also substitute lean ground beef and brown rice.
|Chopped onion, tomato, and garlic|
- 1 package Jenny-O extra lean ground turkey
- 4 green bell peppers
- 3/4 cup cooked quinoa
- 1 small white onion, diced
- 8-12 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 1/2 cup diced fresh tomato (can use canned, but drain them)
- 2 T Italian seasoning or Oregano
- 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup marinara sauce
- Preheat oven to 350
- Cut off the tops of the bell peppers. Discard seeds.
- Dice onion, garlic, and tomato. Place in a large bowl. Add turkey, quinoa, and spices. Mix well.
- Place peppers in a glass baking dish cut side up. Spoon in filling evenly into peppers. It's okay if there's some leftover. You can sauté it in a pan and top with sauce.
- Top peppers with marinara sauce.
- Bake 50-60 minutes or until internal temperature reaches 165.
Enjoy today's recipe and I look forward to sharing more next week.
|Mommy's kitchen helper.|
Do you have a favorite "all in one- protein, carb, veggie" dish?
Love and stuffing,
Carissa & Kyle