But now I just think this... (minus the creepy wolf)
This week we had a healthy turkey sloppy Joe that was comforting, tasty, and filling for man, woman, or lunch lady.
I served ours with a side of cornbread (53 cent Jiffy box mix), roasted okra, and some brown rice.
Try this recipe next time you want a healthy, filling meal. Just try to not get the song stuck in your head. "Sloppy Joe, Slop sloppy Joe...."
Healthy Ground Turkey Sloppy Joes
- Jenny-O lean ground turkey
- 1 diced white onion
- 1 diced red bell pepper
- 1 tablespoon diced jalapeno (fresh or canned)
- 1 small can of pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 1/2 cups of tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon ketchup
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 dash chili powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Sauté the onions and red pepper over medium with EVOO (extra virgin olive oil).
- Add the ground turkey and brown. Break up the meat into crumbles as it cooks.
- Stir in remaining ingredients, reduce heat to low, and simmer 5-10 minutes.
You can enjoy sloppy Joes for dinner or lunch and know that they are not only Fit2Flex, but lunch lady land approved.
Random question - what word is it always hard for you to spell? Mine is Worcestershire.
Love and SNL skits,
Carissa & Kyle
Related post: Okra Roasting 101