I bake banana bread less now since I am trying to eat less gluten, but for Easter my prized banana recipe came back. I made some tweaks and created healthy, fiber-full muffins.
Healthy Whole Wheat Banana Nut Muffins
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 2 tablespoons ground flax seed
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 beaten egg
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 3/4 cup mashed banana
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 400.
- Grease muffin cups. Don't use paper liners.
- In a bowl combine flour, sugar, baking powder, flax, and spices. Make a well in the center of the mixture.
- In another bowl combine egg, milk, applesauce, and banana.
- Combine the wet mixture with the dry until just moistened.
- Add more milk if needed. The flax tends to dry out the mixture.
- Add nuts and lightly mix. Try to avoid over mixing.
- Bake 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
These muffins are wonderful for an on-the-go breakfast especially smeared with some peanut butter.
|Minnie was a fan.|
What recipe are you known for?
Love and tiny baked goods,
Carissa & Kyle