I've made buffalo wing meatballs, Greek meatballs, blue cheese meatballs, AND Thanksgiving meatballs... and this week I made a "semi" traditional Italian meatball with a punch of veggie power!
I grated 2 zucchinis into my ground chicken mixtures. It made the meatball moist and filling. That's a key to clean eating....somehow tricking yourself into feeling full with low-calorie foods. Zucchini, spaghetti squash, frozen grapes. You get the idea....although I have yet to make a meatball with frozen grapes. Challenge me!
Our meatballs were served up with a homemade tomato sauce, spaghetti squash, roasted asparagus, and an arugula, spinach, ugly ripe tomato salad. Hello nutrients!
Enjoy this recipe and let me know if you have any others I could try...even with grapes.
- 1 package lean ground turkey or chicken
- 1/4 cup organic milk
- 2 small zucchini, grated
- 1/4 cup onion diced
- Spices- salt, pepper, oregano, basil, garlic powder
- 1/3 cup whole wheat bread crumbs - enough to help the meatballs stick together
- Preheat oven to 375
- Combine milk and breadcrumbs in a large bowl. Let sit for 1 minute.
- Add onion, zucchini, and spices. Stir to combine.
- Add ground chicken and mix well.
- Form 1" meatballs on a well greased cookie sheet. I made 18.
- Bake 25-30 minutes or until internal temperature reaches 365 degrees.
Love and ground meats of the world,
Carissa & Kyle