But if Teresa from Real Housewives coined the term "skinny Italian" for her book, then I'd like to give it a run for its money with the fantastic and HEALTHY turkey lasagna I made this week.
If I didn't have 2 herniated discs in my neck then I would totally give myself a pat on the back.
This lasagna uses lean ground turkey, whole wheat noodles, and part-skim ricotta.
I also make my own sauce, since jarred sauces have a ton of added sugar, and I sneak zucchini into the sauce for extra veggie power!
For best results allow the sauce to simmer 1-2 hours.
Skinny Italian Turkey Lasagna
- 1lb Jenny-O Lean Ground Turkey
- 1 zucchini diced
- 1 white onion diced
- 2T garlic
- 1 15 oz can Muir Glen crushed tomatoes
- 1 small can Muir Glen tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup water
- 3T oregano
- 1T red pepper flakes
- 2T Italian seasoning
- 1T garlic powder
- 1T onion powder
- 1t salt
- fresh ground pepper
- 15 oz part-skim ricotta cheese
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup fresh chopped parsley
- 1/4 cup shredded Italian cheese
- 9 whole wheat lasagna noodles - uncooked
- Additional shredded Italian cheeses to top lasagna (if desired)
- Fresh parsley to garnish
- Dice zucchini and cook in a skillet coated with Pam. While the zucchini softens add the crushed tomato, tomato sauce, water, and all the spices to a different large pot. Adjust seasonings to taste. Bring to a simmer.
- Add softened zucchini to tomato sauce.
- Sauté onions and garlic in a little EVOO until tender. Add turkey to the same pan and cook until no longer pink breaking it up into the smallest pieces you can.
- Add turkey and onion mixture to tomato sauce. Simmer on low 1-2 hours. Adjust spices as needed.
- In a bowl beat 2 eggs. Add ricotta, shredded cheese, parsley, salt, and pepper. Mix well.
- Using a 9x13 pan begin the lasagna forming process.
- Cover bottom of the pan with 1 cup sauce. Layer 3 noodles. Top with sauce then add 1/2 ricotta mixture. Add 3 noodles. Top with sauce then add the remaining ricotta mixture evenly. Top with 3 noodles and top with remaining sauce. Add additional shredded cheese on the top. I don't add a lot of cheese, because I find it doesn't add that much flavor compared to the extra calories.
- Cover with foil and bake in a 350 degree oven for 50 minutes
- Remove foil and bake an additional 10 minutes or broil to achieve desired "browness" on cheese. I like browned cheese...when I eat cheese.
- Let cool.
- Top with fresh parsley and enjoy
Lasagna also makes amazing leftovers that I always look forward to come lunch time!
I may not be Italian, but I am a true Real Housewife of Healthy Living!
What's your favorite healthified comfort food?
Love and "that's amore",
Carissa & Kyle