|RAWR! Must fight the junk food to save abs worldwide!|
TC suggested that I write about ways to conquer the evil junk food cravings! Pretty good idea, huh! Now why didn't I think of that???
We'll get to the junk food but first a random thought-
Doesn't shopping at Target make you happy? :)
I'm very excited about the super cute food luggage I got! *nerd alert* AND I also took my bill from $157 to $116 using coupons and my 5% Target card rebate! Huzzah! Maybe I should be a professional Target blogger???
|See the resemblance?|
Onto the aforementioned, JUNK FOOD WARS!
Food cravings are hard to beat. They may be salty. They may be sweet. But overcoming them is no small feat! (how bout that rhyme!)
But in all seriousness, cravings are killer to overcome. And don't beat yourself up. Your body can become scientifically hardwired to make you want sugar and/or salt.
Once you can overcome the craving and keep that pattern up (for about a week) your body will desire the forbidden foods less and the cravings will decrease. For real!
Tips to win the JUNK FOOD WARS:
1. Drink Water - I know TC is laughing because she asked for any tips besides this one, but hear me out. Sometimes when we think we're hungry we are actually thirsty. 8oz of high quality H20 may just do the trick. And if it doesn't, just count yourself better hydrated and move on to step 2.
2. Chew Gum - chewing sugar free gum is a great way to "change the flavor" in your mouth and hopefully steer you away from the craving. Extra has 2 fantastic flavors I recommend for sweet cravings; Key Lime Pie and Mint Chocolate Chip.
3. Brush your teeth - this also changes the taste in your mouth and your junk food might not taste as marvelous against a back drop of spearmint.
4. Distract yourself - if all you can think about is the urge to eat then make yourself think about something else. Top distractions include- going for a walk, calling a friend, doing a quick 10 minute cleaning of your house, answering emails, reading, or anything that gets you away from the kitchen. This is my favorite tip and I think it really works! It's allll in the mind my friends. psst- you can even keep a list of distraction tips on the fridge!
5. Keep junk food out of the house- if you buy it...you will eat it. Practice your best restraint at the store and will power will increase at home. Who wants to binge eat egg whites and raw bell peppers????
6. Don't start eating- I mean haven't you seen the pringles commercials? You can't have just one! And you cant! Try ALL my distraction tips.....and.....If you really, really, really can't fight the craving place a measured portion onto a plate and sit down to eat it. Try to enjoy every bite.
7. Think about it- <insert best Christopher Walken impersonation here>Think about 2 things.
1. Why do you really want to eat? Are you bored, emotional, stressed, hungry, or is it just habit?
2. What else have you eaten today? Remembering another "cheat" earlier in the day may guilt you into fighting harder to avoid junk food now.
Fight the good fight my friends! Beat junk food!
And when you do I shall give ye a gold star! How's that for motivation?
Love and raw vegetables,
Carissa & Kyle